Thursday, January 19, 2012

Government

I am taking a government class this semester.  It is not my first, but so far it has been the best.  We started the class by talking about the constitution, and what James Madison REALLY had in mind when he wrote it.

Before I go on, a few things you need to know.  I am a liberal.  I think big government is good.  Its job is to keep its people happy and safe.  Or so I thought.

Come to find out, the Constitution is VERY limited.  There are only a very few list of powers actually given to Federal Government.  That is in fact, the Constitution is so limited, that in my opinion, it has over stepped its bounds, more than a few times.  The Constitution is being used, because of its shortness, and vagueness, to give the Federal government more and more power, that it wasn't given.  Which, for the most part, I am okay with.  I think a lot of the things it has done has bettered our society.  Civil Rights, Women's Suffrage, for example.

A power that I think is most important are the "Police Powers."  The powers to keep people safe and healthy and happy and such.  But it says, right in the Constitution that that power is specifically given to the states, not the nation government.  Now, I am not a Government, or law, or political science major, so to get the specifics on how and why government has gotten so big you will have to do your own learning.

But something that I am having issues with is this: I think the national government SHOULD have the "Police Powers."  I think it should have the power to keep us safe and happy and such.  But the issue is it can't.  It just dose not have the power.  So do I switch my entire view of the role of the national government? I do not think I can do that.  How about trying to change the Constitution?  That is almost impossible, it took many people working very hard to get the changes we have now,  so that's not a viable option.

For instance, I think we should have a national Health Care System.  It is for the betterment of our citizens, and lifestyle.  But the National Government can't do that, they do not have the power.  Unless, you can find, some little stupid backwater way to relate the issue to commerce, or something else in which the national government CAN regulate.  Again, I am not majoring in this, do you own research.

So I find myself caught between what I BELIEVE, and what the government actually has the RIGHT to do. I am unsure of where to go from here.  My beliefs are not on solid ground, which is good I suppose. College is said to "challenge you" and "make you think critically about things."  Hopefully as this class progresses, I can solidify my thoughts on the matter, and once again be firm in my ideas of what a government should be, and what it should do.

No comments:

Post a Comment